Mark Power – Artist research

Mark Power, born in June 1959, is a British photographer from the city of Brighton. He has been awarded the Terence Donovan Award and an Honorary Fellowship from the Royal Photographic Society. In addition he has been awarded the World Press Photo Award for Arts and Entertainment.

There are a number of Power’s collections that I am impressed by. Perhaps my favourite, ‘The Sound of Two Songs’ captures a variety of open spaces in an aesthetically pleasing way. Each photograph has a unique feel to its content, all of which include man-made structures and objects. These are combined with elements of nature to create some remarkable photographs.

Power’s collection of ‘The Sound of Two Songs’ use of open spaces has influenced me in the  creation of  the theme of my portfolio. I will focus my work upon the area in which I live, using a mixture of both natural and man made objects to give a clear sense of place to my work.

A particular interest of mine in creating my own work is that of his ‘Leaving Home’ collection. His choice of positioning for the objects within his photographs is admirable. The ability to use an array of colours in the collection, whilst linking the individual photographs together, can be commended.

An aspect of this collection that I shall utilise in my portfolio is the mundane realism captured within Power’s images.