School of Sport and Health Sciences

Jamie’s step towards Olympic glory

P​odiatry student Jamie Bedwell still has ambitions of competing for Team GB in the Olympic triathlon, after an accident involving a car almost ended his dream in 2016. Jamie was hit by a car whilst out run training, leaving him with a number of serious injuries.

Jamie Bedwell

Jamie Bedwel

The University of Brighton final year Podiatry BSc(Hons) student suffered two spinal fractures as well as full body lacerations in accident that left medical staff stunned by his recovery. He was released from hospital just five days later, and a further two months later he had returned to his full training regime which includes swimming, cycling and running.

The following year saw year Jamie finish in the top 15 British athletes in the country in the British Triathlon series but further bone pain and stress fractures caused by the accident meant that he narrowly missed out on his place to compete in the European Cup series.

Jamie’s situation continued to complicate as the build-up of internal scar tissue from the accident lead to him becoming increasingly unwell later in 2017 and then undergoing surgery on his stomach to remove the scar tissue as well as his appendix all whilst trying to complete his studies.

Now, back to full fitness again, Jamie is looking ahead to the 2019 season with an eye on what’s to come in the future and his ambition to represent the Great Britain triathlon team at the 2024 Paris Olympics.

The 21-year-old can be found training early in the morning on campus with Team Bodyworks, a performance triathlon team based at the University, run by a number World class coaches in the sport.

He put his recovery down to his faith in God: “I put everything into my training – but my faith is the source to my ambition.” He praised his sponsors, Uckfield-based TR Fastenings and Thorne Civil Engineers who contribute towards Jamie’s kit, equipment, travel and training expenses: “I am extremely grateful to the companies and local businesses who have helped to support my ambitions. I aim to honour them in everything I do from the way I speak and act to the way I perform.”

In addition to his training, studies and part-time work at the Eastbourne-based triathlon shop, the Tristore, Jamie is also working with the United Nations UK association on a campaign aimed at raising awareness of plastics used in the Cycling and Triathlon industries and the effects they are having on the sea, which Jamie trains in. His campaign, the #Genesis215Campaign which can be found on all social media platforms, works alongside companies in the industries to promote the use of sustainable materials to package products. Jamie has received support from Sky’s Ocean Rescue Programme and is commonly found speaking at events about the seriousness of climate change and the differences we can all make for a brighter and greener future.

“I compete and train in the sea and regularly see the damage single-use plastics cause and I want to use my platform to draw attention to the problem by campaigning for change.”​​

Kerry Burnett • 22/05/2019