week 14

During week 14, I continued to experiment with content ideas for my final outcome. This involved playing around with the ideas around chaos. I wanted to create visual representations of chaos so I made jelly and added textured foods inside to create something which was disgusting and visually messy, chaotic and unpleasant (images from the shoot below.) Unfortunately the result wasn’t as I had hoped. Some foods limited the setting of the jelly and the colour meant you couldn’t see the mess inside as well as I had imagined. Therefore, if I was to do it again, I would ensure I used foods which would not prevent the jelly from setting and remove any excess liquid from them. I also may consider using gelatine sheets, making my own jelly from scratch which may have a better effect considering its clear appearance.

During this week, I also decided to re-take the photographs of the natural sea debris, which I collected from Brighton beach. After having a thorough look at my images from the Daylight Studios, I felt they were too staged for what I was wanting. With this in mind, I decided to take the photographs again with an alternative style. I took the photographs with a macro lense so that I was able to get up close and textured imagery of the objects, which I felt looked much better and reflected the natural chaos I was after (images from the shoot below.)

I also began to edit the photographs I took at the Daylight studios whilst continuing to plan and create new content and layout ideas for the publication. For example, I planned and then conducted a shoot at the Flea Market in Kemp Town in Brighton. I wanted to experiment with the ideas around chaos and comfort. With this in mind, I decided to wrap the model in a duvet (notions of comfort) and photograph her in chaotic settings in the market. My aim was to reflect the ideas around finding comfort within the chaos.