week 8

This week has involved juggling the planning and organisation of a pop up event as part of the GFW fund-raising process as well as keeping up to date with my FMP.

I have enjoyed planning and organising the pop up event as it has been great to explore events planning, which is something I enjoy alongside magazine work. I chose to organise the wellbeing, yoga and mindfulness pop up event/ workshop as I thought it would be beneficial for me to explore my research further. In other words, explore and develop my key themes eg mindfulness, calm and slow living, comfort etc into a public experience.

The organisation of the pop up this week has involved meetings its Yoga Brighton, who are a group of yoga teachers who are going to be part of the event, teaching several classes across the 2 day workshop event. I have also been in contact with additional potential helpers keeping with the theme, including a massage therapist, candle maker and cafe selling homemade healthy snacks/cakes!

On Saturday I went to a full day yoga workshop/ retreat called FeatherHeart. The workshop was about exploring the heart through practices on and off the mat in order to release all the heavy energy that weighs us down and limits the release and free flow of emotion. The day involved talks, discussions, yoga classes, mediation exercises, breathing exercise, theory and written exercises including journal writing. Alongside this, the event included healthy raw drinks/ food to keep with the theme. This was a beneficial experience for me. It was not only useful for my FMP research but also gave me some additional ideas for the pop up event.

Alongside this I visited calming locations and the idea of exploring calm through nature. Whilst experiencing the calm, I took several photographs/ video clips/ sound recordings in order to document the process. I find it quite fascinating to explore the idea of calm through nature would visually and through sound. I was inspired by Richard long and Ellie Tsatsou, which I have documented in my sketchbook. I went to CoveHithe, Snape Malting, Iken Cliff and Tunstall Forrest in Suffolk.

Below are a couple of photographs from the yoga workshop. See my next post for a selected number of my nature photos, videos and sound recordings.