Graduate stories – Esme Whitehouse

Graduating from Geology BSc(Hons), Esme won the Rory Mortimore Geology Prize as the student with the best overall performance across the university’s geology courses.

• What made you choose Brighton and this course?

I have loved Geology since I took it as a GCSE so I didn’t struggle to make a choice when it came to picking a degree course. I chose Brighton through clearing.

• How did you feel when you were first accepted to Brighton, and how has the reality compared to what you imagined?

I was very glad to have a place to study Geology but I was obviously nervous about moving to university. It didn’t take long for me to realise I had nothing to be nervous about, it’s too much fun!

• What were the highlights of your course?

Fieldwork for the educational and social aspects.

• Would you recommend your course? What in particular would you recommend?

I would! In particular I would recommend it because of the amount of practical experience compared to Geology courses at other universities.

• What has coming to Brighton done for you, both as a student and as a person?

As both a student and a person going to Brighton made me realise my own potential and taught me a great deal of independence and responsibility.

• Tell us about your experience of teaching and support staff.

Both teaching and support staff in our department were great. They were always willing to help people who were keen to learn.

• How do you plan to use your experience and course in the future?

I plan to pursue a career in the mineral extractives industry following my Master’s course which I start in September. During that year and after I will use the work ethic I developed during undergraduate study.

• Can you give an example of a person, a lesson or something that happened that made you glad you’d come to study at Brighton?

Aside from my general enjoyment of the course, for me realising I was capable of what I have achieved and am hoping to achieve was the light bulb moment. Also, I got to have lunch with my award sponsor and learning about his career made me realise that working in Exploration could lead to being in a position to make real positive change in the world, and not necessarily just in the Earth Science sector.

• What advice would you give to someone who is thinking of applying for this course / this university?

Make sure you are choosing to do something you really love because mostly the work doesn’t feel like work and when it does you still know you have made the right decision.