Jen Wyatt graduating with a 1st

The time of my life

I chose to study at Brighton as I felt as though the lecturers here were really passionate about what they were teaching, and I liked the fact that they included their own research in their lectures. I also felt that the environment was a welcoming one – my very first visit left me feeling confident that I would be able to thrive at Brighton.

Brighton has fully lived up to everything that I could have imagined – I have visited two new countries, one outside of Europe and seen and done some incredible things in those places. I have also been provided with a plethora of opportunities, and believe that this has helped me to grow. The lecturers have fully supported me on my journey, much as I thought that they would upon meeting them for the first time four years ago.

The major highlight for me has to be the field trip to Morocco – I had not previously travelled outside of Europe, and I got to experience staying in two breath-taking locations over the course of a week. I was also provided with the opportunity, as part of this trip, to take a ride on a mule up a mountain, as well as learn a great deal more about other cultures.

I would fully recommend my course to anyone with a passion for learning more about the world around them. It has truly been an eye-opening experience. In particular, I would recommend the Urban Geography modules, as they have helped me to really broaden my mind.

Coming to Brighton has allowed me to grow; I have developed new skills and improved those which were previously weak. I have also met some incredible people, and experienced and learnt new things.

The staff at Brighton have all been fantastic – they are approachable, enthusiastic and most importantly, they care about their students and are always doing their utmost to ensure that the course is a relevant and engaging as possible.

I particularly enjoyed the lectures based around regeneration and cities, as I am particularly fascinated by these two areas. Before, I just had a general interest in these areas, but both the lectures and the lecturers drew this out, and the themes ended up becoming the building blocks for my dissertation. I am glad that I have studied at Brighton as I believe that it has helped me to pick out the right career path for me.

If anyone is thinking of applying to do BA Geography, or just study at Brighton, go for it – I have had the time of my life whilst studying here, and seen, learnt and done things that I could have previously only dreamed about. Find what interest you, and then follow that lead.

2 thoughts on “The time of my life