Laura’s ship comes in

University of Brighton masters student Laura Clemente Campos has landed an internship at Shoreham Port.

She will be producing an ecology plan for the port and her work will form part of her coursework for her masters in Environmental Assessment and Management.

Laura told the Shoreham Herald: “When the port gave me the opportunity to work for them I had a look around the site and was fascinated by how many environmental projects they had developed.

“I like the port’s vision for the future, especially the objectives established in the environmental policy. For an industrial working site they have a very positive attitude to prevent, reduce and compensate for any impact they may make.”

Laura graduated in 2012 from Valencia University with a degree in environmental sciences and then moved to the UK. She first worked as a scientist’s assistant in the National Water Quality Instrumentation System as part of the Environment Agency.

She said: “The masters at the University of Brighton has specialised my academic career and provided me with more technical and practical skills. I have acquired a high level in skills such as researching, critically analysing data, assessing data and reporting, at the same time as facing real cases and solving problems.

“The system was totally new for me, and it was hard at first, but I am learning and improving quite quickly, thus I enjoy a lot. I have faced so many challenges through this year but achieving them makes you grow up academically and professionally.

Laura Clemente Campos

“The masters provides a really good qualification and skills to start a professional career, and it gives you opportunities to practise what you learn, through placements or internships such as the one I am enjoying.”