Opportunities and experience at Brighton

After taking a gap year I was excited to start my degree at Brighton. The course structure offered more opportunities for practical learning compared to other universities and the opportunity to spend a year In Industry working for the MoD gave me a chance to find out what I was really Interested in.  My industry placement helped me narrow down my options for my future career after graduation

I would highly recommend taking the opportunity of a year in industry as it helped me discover which aspects of engineering I am truly interested in. The course tutors encourage students to take these opportunities as students come back for their third year with experience that they might not get at university and often achieve a first-class classification. This has proved to be the case for me and most of the other “year-in-industry” students.

The freedom to choose my own third year dissertation allowed me to extend my technical background from mechanical into aeronautical engineering. This was a very challenging process, but I was able to learn a lot from this experience and acquire new skills which a predetermined project may not have offered.

The teaching staff are always enthusiastic to get feedback about their teaching and module structures. They have always encouraged people to contact them outside of lectures when they are struggling with specific concepts.

Dr Nicolas Miché (current thesis supervisor and third year thesis supervisor) allowed and supported me to use a master’s level experimental technique called Particle Image velocimetry (PIV) using a laser to study air flow over an experimental UAV flight control. This is an unusual opportunity which I doubt I would have been given anywhere else as an undergraduate.

I plan to use the practical experience gained from both my bachelor’s and master’s projects, as well as the experience from working for the MoD for a year, to develop my professional skills as a practicing engineer and eventually become a chartered engineer. I hope to take the knowledge and skills to work in research and development specifically working in the defence industry.

The ESA competition has also helped me develop these skills further, Including delivering projects to tight timelines as part of a team of engineers. The project is to test the feasibility of implementing a passive cooling system known as a Pulsating Heat Pipe (PHP), which has no electrical or mechanical component, as a cooling system in a satellite. Our PHP will be designed to fit a nanosatellite known as a Cubesat made up of 2 units that are 10x10x10cm each in size. Our project will study the effect a PHP could have on the motion of the satellite while in zero-gravity.