Brighton’s Robot Warriors

To mark International Woman’s Day in 2018 we are celebrating the achievements of our female students here at Brighton.

University of Brighton undergraduate students Katie Henderson and Jodie Nye battled it out against fellow contestants in the last series of BBC’s Robot Wars.

Katie and Jodie, both studying for a BSc (Hons) Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, are long-standing fans of the show and were one of the few all-female teams to have taken on the challenge with their robot ‘Ms Nightshade’.

Speaking about her experience Katie said: “It was an honour to represent the University of Brighton and also to promote female engineers. I worked on the design and Jodie and I collaborated on putting our robot together. I knew I wanted our robot to be different and something that had not been seen on the programme before and to be able to defend itself and attack from all angles.

“The biggest challenge was managing our time to meet the deadlines for the project whilst continuing to focus on our courses. We really underestimated the time needed to build and test the robot, but got there in the end.”

Jodie commented: “The whole experience has been incredible. I can’t compare it to anything that I have ever done before. The most valuable thing for me apart from gaining the practical skills from constructing and assembling the robot was the chance to develop presenting and communication skills from appearing on the programme.

“Being part of an all-female team was a real honour. I am so grateful to the University for the support it gave us to make what for me had always been a childhood dream.”

Pictures credit: BBC/Mentorn Media Scotland/Alan Peebles