Manifesto: Trying out new techniques

Over the days I’ve had some trials and tribulations with finding the right technique for this project, I wanted to do something with collage and found images. But, I felt like simple collage was too basic and something I’ve done before, I wanted to push myself.

Tetra-Pak printing

Tetra-Pak printing appealed to me because it was reusing juice bottles made of Tetra-Pak this material is versatile. I like how it included recycling as this project would benefit from a positive portrayal of how to use recycling in everyday life. However, it was difficult to create, first you cut into or mark the shiny side of Tetra-Pak with a scapel or pencil, ink it and wipe off the excess. Then, after putting this through a printing press it should come out successfully. But, mine just didn’t they were light and blurred and unidentifiable. It was annoying but I was more into the actually Tetra-Pak (or the “plate”) after it was inked up. They looked cool and have a distressed look – I think I will more likely use this them than the actual prints.

Acetone printing

Now, acetone printing was a complete experiment for me and I was so glad that I attempted it. I used a cheap nail polish remover (which actually didn’t have any acetone in it? Confusing) with print outs you could create a strong print with mark making over the top. I was inspired to do this techniques after seeing Robert Rauschenberg prints in the Tate Britain I like the overlay technique and it personally I think it instantly says that the artwork is a social commentary as it’s direct photos of people, also it has a newspaper quality to it which already reuses a sense of the mundane which people respect and listen to. It in many ways demands attention.

Rubbings

I quickly did some rubbings of trees and urban spaces, interestingly you can barely tell the difference between them. I wanted to make them so that I had the opportunity to create some texture in my pieces. But, upon doing them I think they will be left unused, they look too similar and aren’t fully identifiable as anything.