Lithography, Session 3: 20/02/18

After the last session using the Zinc Oxide plate I was eager to have some time to plan my print better and identify my aims. As a group we discussed what can be achieved through using layers in a print, also we learnt how colours can combine and create different colours despite being on different layers. This is something that appeals to me, I like the thought of utilising the process of lithography to create something that I would normally be able to make, say through screen print for example.

To begin the process, I planned a simple collage which could be used on the photolitho plate. The collage is loosely based around my Manifesto project, as I felt this was a great opportunity to combine the two. With the Manifesto project revolving around protest and the print medium used prevalently for protest, I felt there was a strong connection between the two. Therefore, the collage is digitally made using images of environment damage and destruction. I thought this would be a great starting point to build my image from. This layer was printed on acetate, I then worked further on the layer on tracing paper; using similar drawing mediums to the first plate we created. On the tracing paper layer, I drew around the digital collage, I composed people, ladders and graphic symbols to imply that we are using our world as a playground without consequence and waiting for future generations to solve our problems.

I feel like this is a strong start to the planning of my print, I would have liked to get further with this today. However, it is not something to be rushed and I feel confident that with the extra time I can focused myself in the next session on finishing the plate design.