PHOBIAS PHOTOSHOOT : THEME SUFFOCATION

STYLED & PHOTOGRAPHED BY MYSELF

MODEL: CATERINA BECHELLI

I did a test shoot experimenting with the theme of suffocation & fear. Suffocation is felt by most people with an irrational fear or phobia.  I started by researching into different types of phobias, what causes them and who gets them. As fear plays a huge part in phobias I am interested in having a subtly creepy look. I watched the film ‘The Woman in Black’ which is set in the early 20th century as inspiration for this first photoshoot. I wanted the photos to make people feel almost scared viewing them and to have that vintage feel like the film. The styling of ‘the woman in black’ is very dark, and she’s dressed in black with her face covered most of the time.  I bought black tulle to wrap around my model’s head to make her look encaged in the fabric. I wrapped it around a few times so the layers built up to look darker in some areas, particularly around they eyes. The materials used in the shoot are monochrome. I found a puff sleeve embroidered white top for the shoot as I thought garments with excess fabric would be perfect for the theme.  I used the fashion studio with the white backdrop as I wanted the main focus to be on the materials and textures on the model.