School of Education news

Education BA Placement Opportunities

Second year students studying the Education BA (Hons) are set to embark on their eight-week placements this February.

Placement learning is a key aspect of the course and students have two separate opportunities to deepen their understanding in different educational settings.  The course prides itself on the freedom it offers and students are encouraged to pursue their own pathway in an area they are most passionate about.

Students start the process of organising their placements as early as the summer, and there are several mechanisms in place to ensure they are fully prepared including tailored sessions with course leaders and an employability day.

Previous examples of placement hosts include schools, educational charities both here and overseas, museums and out-reach project supporting young people back into education. The list is extensive and can include any host where education is a key focus.

This year, several students have secured international placements in France, Spain, Austria, Nepal and Shanghai.

Guy Horseman will be spending his placement in a region close to Kathmandu, Nepal, in a primary and secondary school. He said: “I chose to go abroad for my placement because I have previously taught English in Asia which I thoroughly enjoyed and wanted to experience something similar again. It is an opportunity to witness an education system with different traditions and cultures that I’m not used to”.

“I also hope this placement will put me in good stead for the future and confirm that I want to pursue a career teaching after finishing university”.

During his time on placement, Guy will carry out his own research, focusing on the impact non-nationals may have in the classroom. His research will incorporate the different teaching styles and content volunteers may teach, and how children may or may not benefit from having a volunteer in the classroom.

Emma Bonhomme will be spending time in a Primary International school in Paris as part of her placement.

She said: “I chose to go overseas, and more specifically to France, because I am French and we learn so much of the British education system that I thought it could be interesting to pull theories applied here in the UK and see how they might be used in other countries/other education systems. I want to focus on cultural inclusion and diversity in schools and that’s why I’ve chosen to go to an international school.

I hope to have a better understanding of teaching, specifically in international schools, but also learn how to communicate more effectively, and understanding how to create and teach a lesson plan.”

Placements offer excellent experience for students to add to their CV as well as support them in developing a range of skills highly valued by employers which will give them an advantage in an increasingly competitive graduate job market.

We wish all our students the best of luck.

Christina Camm • January 9, 2018