Self-Reflection blog on the Metro Bank group assignment

I study at the University of Brighton and I will reflect on my overall experience of the Metrobank digital marketing assignment which will include the planning, organization, process, involvement, collaboration phases, and the skills that could enhance my employability opportunities.

Planning and Organisation

We organized ourselves through Microsoft teams by choosing the company and then divided the tasks so everyone would cover two points.

We digitally communicated through Microsoft teams and praised each other’s work. Everyone had their wide objectives but ultimately we reached a common goal, which was analyzing Metro bank’s current digital marketing situation

I would next time make more video calls so it would eliminate multi-tasking. 82% of people admit that during a call, they would surf the web or go to the kitchen (Morrison, 2016). Virtual teams require engagement to fully optimize the meetings.

Process and Involvement

Everyone worked the way they felt most comfortable. If members were enforced to work a certain way, this would reduce the work process, destroy communication, and reduce the overall effectiveness of the team.

Everyone was in different locations and had different working times, which reduced the overall coordination. I decided to adapt my working style so it coordinates with my other team members’ styles and as a result, it improved coordination. Next time we should set deadlines on Microsoft teams so everyone knows when to attend the meeting and what will it cover.

Collaboration

Everyone communicated and gave feedback on our work. The issue I found with team collaboration was the technical difficulties. Sometimes, the internet connection in my house kept dropping out when we called. Perhaps, I should invest in a higher-performing laptop. However, we still managed to communicate through messages, but physical interactions were missing.

Skills gained from the assignment

I have identified several skills that will enhance my employability chances.

• Team Work– collaborating, contributing, and helping out the team when getting busy
  • IT skills– Using PowerPoint and Microsoft team is important to work virtually and present information quickly and neatly. The world is becoming fully digital and is a crucial skill to have
  • Communication– iterating your point clearly, listening to others, and sending your messages across makes a team more productive and increases the effectiveness of the team.

Overall, the assignment was fun. We planned and organized ourselves well by making calls on Microsoft Teams. Everyone was involved, worked at their own pace, and gave feedback to each other. Communication, Team Work and the use of technology were the skills that will enhance my employment opportunities. I encountered issues but I will learn from my experience and improve on my employment skills

References

Ferrazzi, K., 2014. Getting Virtual Teams Right. (online) Harvard Business Review. Available at: <https://hbr.org/2014/12/getting-virtual-teams-right> [Accessed 3 February 2021].

Morrison-Smith, S. and Ruiz, J., 2020. Challenges and barriers in virtual teams: a literature review. SN Applied Sciences, [online] 2(6), pp.3,4. Available at: <https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s42452-020-2801-5#citeas> [Accessed 3 February 2021].

Rico, Ramón & Manzanares, Miriam & Gil, Francisco & Alcover, Carlos-Maria & Tabernero, Carmen. (2011). Coordination process in work teams. Papeles del Psicólogo. 32. 59-68.