Drawing with Chocolate – Kitchen lithography

Thursday 16th March

Kunjana Dumsopee from King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology, Ladkrabang, (KMITL)Thailand and Hiroshi Katayama from Nagoya University of Art ran a Kitchen lithography workshop for students at the University of Brighton. Ingredients included chocolate, chocolate spread, butter, milk, coca cola and aluminum foil. The learning of a complex process was demystified through simple everyday materials, the results were great and everyone had great fun.

“I really enjoyed the workshop and drawing with chocolate although I did have to eat a chocolate bear that collapsed under the strain!
This was a great opportunity to interact with the tutors from Japan and Thailand in a relaxed and fun project. The tools used had a levelling effect but I did notice a large variety of artistic style coming over. It also helped me to chrystalise my understanding of the litho process that I have been using as the chemistry is more apparent in the everyday things. When I measured the PH of the coke it was quite shocking how acid it was.

The 50 x 50 was excellent and it was a privilege to be allowed to take part in such a high quality exhibition. The private view and activities around it gave us a chance to meet and socialise with the other university groups which gave a valuable insight in to printmaking in very different cultures.

Your sessions each week were very valuable and gave us confidence in what we were submitting.

All in all the whole experience has been very enriching and left me hungry for more, not just chocolate bears.” Jill Flower Level 4 Fine Art Printmaking

Hiroshi and Kunjana were enchanting. They were very enthusiastic and their pleasure at being visitors at our university was palpable.

The demonstration of kitchen sink lithography was fascinating and humorous, and we couldn’t wait to get started! Could we really paint with chocolate butter and milk?

Much of the work was experimental, trying out different materials to mark-make on the sheets of aluminium foil.

We discovered that coca-cola was the most efficient at developing the plate, rather than lemon juice or vinegar. After washing with water, we inked up the plate in order to print.

We had great fun trying out three or four different plates, and Hiroshi and Kunjana obviously enjoyed teaching us.

It was lovely to get to know our guests in a teaching context, and when we met them again at the 50×50 private view, we were able to discuss each other’s prints side by side in the exhibition.

Overall it was a wonderful experience which I felt privileged to be able to attend.

Marie Linsdell Level 4
Fine Art Printmaking student

One Comment

1. Nina Reply

The results look amazing. I wouldn’t have realised it was food-based.

https://blogs.brighton.ac.uk/nina/