Graduate stories – Roxanne Pulmones

Roxanne graduates from Civil Engineering BEng(Hons) and is the winner of the Dr Harry Arshi Memorial Award for Geotechnical Engineering. The prize was awarded for the highest mark received for a final year project focussed on geotechnical engineering in the university.

• What made you choose Brighton and this course?

I had close friends who attended Brighton and became curious since they always said good things about the city, the people and the University so I applied.

• How did you feel when you were first accepted to Brighton, and how has the reality compared to what you imagined?

I was very happy and looking back I don’t regret coming here to study at all. I have met incredible people, made unforgettable memories and I am really thankful.

• What were the highlights of your course?

The environment that was created with my course mates was a highlight of my course because in all three years I was privileged to be able to work hard alongside the kindest people who were always willing to help in any way they can.

• What has coming to Brighton done for you, both as a student and as a person?

Apart from becoming more independent, I’ve been very inspired by the people around me to pursue a career that I will be passionate about in order to succeed at work but also be happy in life.

• Tell us about your experience of teaching and support staff.

I appreciated the lecturer’s dedication in helping students outside of lectures in topics that have been difficult to grasp. They have also been open to feedback with regards to their teaching to further improve for future students. The technicians have also been incredibly supportive especially in my final year and created a very positive working environment in the lab.

• What advice would you give to someone who is thinking of applying for this course / this university?

My advice is be prepared to communicate with lecturers and course mates in order to succeed since topics can be challenging but this gives you a chance to experience working life because it’s very important to be able to collaborate with other people and work effectively together.