Graduate stories – Jasper Pagud

Jasper won the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) award for his outstanding overall performance in the University of Brighton civil engineering degree programmes.

• What made you choose Brighton and this course?

The Civil Engineering BEng(Hons) course at Brighton has modules that teach technical skills and knowledge not just in engineering design but also used in wider industry. This includes the use of BIM (Building Information Modelling) and creating detailed construction phases and programmes.

• How did you feel when you were first accepted to Brighton, and how has the reality compared to what you imagined?

I felt very fortunate having visited Brighton at an open day which really attracted me to the university.

• What were the highlights of your course?

The highlights of the course were being able to learn the dynamic and various topics that makes up Civil Engineering, which you can further explore within the third-year dissertation project.

• Would you recommend your course? What in particular would you recommend?

I particularly recommend taking the initiative to get as much information from the lecturers especially outside of contact hours. They have invaluable insight and experience within their respective fields which they are happy to discuss.

• What has coming to Brighton done for you, both as a student and as a person?

Attending Brighton has made realise the career path I want to follow and has equipped me with the qualification and skills to do so successfully. I have met friends and had experiences that have help develop me into the person I am today, which I am very grateful for.

• Tell us about your experience of teaching and support staff.

The staff are very supportive and are more than happy to explain concepts and give further help to students, both in and out of contact hours. Within the School of Environment and Technology the staff have a good variety of lecturers with very successful industrial careers as well as equally successful academic ones.

• Can you tell us a bit about your role on your placement?

In placement I worked as an Assistant Site Manager. My key duties included: assisting in planning and scheduling works to be carried out, short and long term, keeping detailed site records and quality documents (cost, time & safety) and ensuring they were received, reviewed and communicated where necessary. I also contributed to site progress meetings with colleagues, others trades and clients.

• What aspects did you find the most interesting and the most challenging?

The most interesting aspect of my placement was witnessing the completion of construction works, how all the planning and organising pays off to create something tangible and useful. The most challenging yet rewarding aspect was learning technical information regarding all the various trades and the interface between them.

• How did you put what you learned in lectures into practice during your placement?

I was able to apply my knowledge of construction planning such as the making of Gantt Charts to chronologically plan works for various documents. I was also able to apply my analytical skills and engineering principles to solve day to day issues on site.

• What are the main things you will take from the experience?

From placement I was able to gain knowledge which was not part of the course curriculum such as pre-construction and on-site management, as well as gaining an understanding of the construction industry as whole.

• How do you plan to use your experience and course in the future?

I plan to apply the transferable knowledge and skills that I have acquired into the commercial section of the industry, where I will be able to continue learning to have a more holistic view of engineering/construction.

• Can you give an example of a person, a lesson or something that happened that made you glad you’d come to study at Brighton?

It is not so much one person or one lesson that makes me glad that I have attended Brighton but rather the accumulation of experiences, information and skills and the people along the way that have taught and supported me and that I’ve had laugh with, that made my time here invaluable.

• What advice would you give to someone who is thinking of applying for this course / this university?

Brighton has lecturers who are experts in their fields with many years of experience and, most importantly, are passionate about teaching. The university also have strong links with leading companies in various industries in which they will help you gain a work placement or even a graduate job. Lastly, the people who come to Brighton are most likely going to be friendly and like-minded, so you’re almost guaranteed to have a laugh and enjoy university life.