Alumni in the spotlight – Amna Al-Failakawi

Civil with Environmental Engineering BEng(Hons) graduate, Amna Al-Failakawi, was congratulated by the His Royal Highness, the Prince of Kuwait for her role in the Shaikh Jaber Al-Sabah causeway as he officially opened the bridge this month. At 48.1km long it is one of the longest bridges in the world and connects the middle of Kuwait to the north of Kuwait via two links.

“I landed my first job and was lucky enough to be appointed one of the engineers in the Shaikh Jaber Al- Sabah causeway. Last Wednesday was our opening ceremony and it was hosted by His Royal Highness the Prince of Kuwait Shaikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah. His Royal Highness congratulated me on my part of the project,” Amna tell us.

Here she tells us a little more about her time at Brighton.

How and why did you choose to work in Civil Engineering?

My mother encouraged me to pursue a degree in civil engineering, she thought that I would excel in it.

What made you chose Civil Engineering at Brighton?

My uncle is a Brighton University Alumni, he got is PhD in arts, he motivated me to apply to University of Brighton because he had good experience and good memories there which motivated me to apply. I also did some research about Brighton city, and I found that it was a multicultural city which I preferred

What are your favourite memories from your time at The University of Brighton?

Gathering in the library with my classmates and studying there. We would help each other with understanding a certain subject or would give each other ideas with a project some of us would be working on. We also would talk about what we would do with our lives after graduation.

What made Brighton special to you?

The people there and my memories that I have there.

Do you have a favourite place in Brighton?

Brighton pier and the lanes are my favourite places in Brighton.

What aspect of your job do you most enjoy?

Watching how everything develops and how the new techniques and machineries are used to produce something that is so big and huge. Also by working with Hyundai construction, it helped me learn about different people and cultures with their ideas and ideologies which I enjoyed very much.

What advice would you give to an up-and-coming Civil Engineering student of today?

Never hesitate to ask questions, or ask for help. Motivation is the key to everything. And always believe in yourself.