Constructing a golden career

A Brighton graduate has won a gold medal for his construction management and leadership.

Matt Crookes triumphed in the secondary education category at the Construction Manager of the Year awards, run by the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), considered the world’s largest professional body.

Matt, who graduated from the University of Brighton in 2002 with a BSc(Hons) in Project Management for Construction, said his time in the city was invaluable.

“Brighton is vibrant and creative town and a great place to learn. I very much enjoyed my time there. With my degree I was able to secure a position with a leading construction firm and have remained there ever since, progressing to the role of Project Manager.

“The course was the perfect introduction to the industry and without doubt set me on the right path for a rewarding career.”

Matt said he was “over the moon at winning”, adding: “It has boosted my confidence and enhanced my self-belief and I’m now channelling that confidence into a new project with a great team behind me once again.”

Matt delivered an £11m university technical college in Portsmouth for Bam Construction, one of just two schemes from the south that made the finals. He credited “my team” for the success.

Matt, who focuses primarily healthcare and education projects on the South Coast, spent a brief spell with Alfred McAlpine before being accepted into BAM’s graduate recruitment programme. Matt progressed through the ranks before being promoted to Project Manager.

In January this year Matt was accepted into the Fellowship of the CIOB and is “dedicated to improving the image of the industry and promoting construction as a great vocation at schools, colleges and community events”.