Alumni in the spotlight

Stamatia Kantziari graduated from the University of Brighton with a civil engineering degree in 2015 and is currently working with the civil engineering team in AECOM.  She talks to us about her favourite memories here and her career so far.

What are your favourite memories from your time at The University of Brighton?

One of my favourite memories from my time at The University of Brighton was the field trip to Berlin that we went during our first year of studies. The field trip was part of a module and was to look Berlin’s landmark buildings. We had fun all together! Moreover another unforgettable time at the University of Brighton was the graduation day! Brighton Dome was full of happy faces and all of us were proud for our achievement.

What made Brighton special to you?

Brighton is special for me and I hope to come back and live there one day again. It is the place where I spent my student life and I am feeling blessed as I had a great time. I had the chance to meet lovely people, have fun and at the same time to study Engineering (which was my dream since I remember myself).

Do you have a favourite place in Brighton?

I don’t have just a favourite place in Brighton as I am in love with the whole city. However if I should choose one place, I would say that my favourite place is the West Pier where I used to enjoy the sunset.

What are you doing now?  Have you got your dream job?

Now I am working as an Engineer with AECOM. I work on Drainage and Highways design for a wide variety of projects with both public and private clients. I am also working towards Chartership with the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE). Working closely with my team as well as with other teams, sharing knowledge and ideas for completing the deliverables on time and on budget.

What aspect of your job do you most enjoy?

On my job I most enjoy the fact that every day I come across with a challenging problem and I need to find a solution. The feeling that I have after solving the problem is unique. I also enjoy the fact that through my work I can improve people’s lives.

What advice would you give to an up-and-coming Civil Engineering student?

Take advantage of the University of Brighton Civil Engineering course as it is really well-structured and the fact that the personal tutors are there to help you through the process with any questions you may have. Try the year placement in the industry*. It will help you to see how the construction industry works and what they expect from a graduate engineer. Finally try to keep a balance between personal life and your studies as these would be the best and more relaxed years so you should enjoy the journey!

*Stamatia  had a monitoring and surveyor work placement with Morgan Sindall at the Crossrail Whitechapel site