An insight into studying Civil Engineering

Final year MEng student Scarlett, talks about her experience of life as a Civil Engineering student at Brighton.

I visited Brighton on my 18th birthday and I just knew I had to live here! It’s such a fun, vibrant city, there’s something for everyone. I chose Civil Engineering as I have always had an interest in building, structure and architecture. Although architecture really appeals to me, I wanted to understand how structures stood up, how they worked, and why.

I would recommend this course to anyone who wants a rewarding degree. I also wanted to choose a degree that would have a good chance of a job at the end of the course and Civil Engineers are in high demand. In the Masters year, your modules are completely optional. This year I am recreating Roman Concrete for my final year project and it is very interesting and I am enjoying managing my own time and getting messy in the labs. In the second year, we had a Civil Engineering and Built Environment trip to Berlin which was a lot of fun!

For my placement year, I used the careers service who were particularly helpful, they suggested improvements for my CV and interview techniques. My placement was with a structural engineering company called Hockley and Dawson, working as a Student Structural Engineer/ CAD technician.

For the first few months I was mainly creating drawings on AutoCAD for the engineers, which were then sent on to architects or the contractors. As my confidence grew, I began to attend site visits and monitor old, often listed buildings, taking photographs and measurements to use back in the office. I also carried out a few small extension and pile load calculations. The site visits were really beneficial as they made all the theory I had learnt at university make a lot more sense, being able to see it in “real-life”.

I would say that Brighton is a fabulous place to be and you will not regret it! As for Civil Engineering, it is a very interesting and stimulating course that keeps you on your toes. The world is always developing and changing and that’s what Civil Engineers are for.