Scott scoops top award!

Scott Dalton, studying Civil Engineering MEng, beat off competition from around the country to win a national award.

Scott took the Construction, Engineering and Design Undergraduate of the Year title, sponsored by Laing O’Rourke, the international engineering, construction and asset management company.

The finals of National Graduate Recruitment Awards 2016, organised by TARGETjobs, were held in London’s Canary Wharf and TV journalist and newsreader Fiona Bruce was on hand to present Scott’s award.

PHOTO: left to right - John O’Connor, Laing O’Rourke’s Group Director for Human Capital, Scott Dalton and Fiona Bruce.

PHOTO: left to right – John O’Connor, Laing O’Rourke’s Group Director for Human Capital, Scott Dalton and Fiona Bruce.

Scott, whose prize is an all-expenses paid international summer work placement on the Motiongate theme park project with Laing O’Rourke in Dubai, started work as one of Hyder Consulting’s youngest-ever employees before leaving to study. Since then he has spent time on placements with EM Highways and most recently Balfour Beatty’s central Health & Safety team.

Scott is the chairman of the Institute of Civil Engineering Students and Graduates committee for Brighton and Gatwick where he has most recently organised a five-week professional development course in construction management subjects as well as a schools outreach programme. Scott is a STEM ambassador and works part-time as a social media representative for the university.

Through a series of online tests, application forms, interviews and assessment exercises, he emerged as the winner from a strong field.

The award was open across construction, civil, mechanical, electrical and architectural courses and had around 500 entrants from students at university’s across the UK. The awards were organised by TARGETjobs.

Scott said: “To make it to the final top 10 was a huge achievement for me personally and to go one step further and win it is an absolute honour. The other finalists were all brilliant and had done a huge amount of incredible things in their time before and during university – hence my surprise in winning.

I have really enjoyed my university course – it has helped me to develop as a person and gain the engineering knowledge to a standard that allows me to feel ready to start work.

I have been heavily involved with the ICE over the past two years and am the Chairman of the Student & Graduate committee which is something that the university has supported me with from the beginning.

The work experience in Dubai is a fantastic opportunity and I can’t wait to get out there.”