Students win Paxton scholarships

Two Brighton students have won prestigious scholarships at global technology company Paxton.

Computing students Annabel Spain and George Livas will undertake a three-month paid work placement in which they will take part in technology research that will form the final-year project of their degree course.

The students will also receive £10,000 towards their university fees.

Based in Brighton, Paxton designs and manufactures intelligent security systems for buildings such as residential blocks, schools, gyms, hospitals and facilities like Manchester United’s Old Trafford stadium.

Annabel said: “I feel immensely proud. I’m looking forward to gaining experience of working with such a talented group of people and I’m sure the knowledge I will gain will aid my career in in the computing industry.”

George said: “I’m grateful for this opportunity to work alongside and learn from experts in the smart security industry. I’m looking forward to participating in technology research projects, to working in an innovative, forward-thinking environment and to learning new skills.”

The Paxton scholarship is open to students studying engineering and product design-related courses. The students were selected after attending an open day at Paxton’s state-of-the-art technology centre in November, as well as an assessment day and interview.

Annabel and George will start their placement in July, before their final year of study.

The University’s Vice-Chancellor Professor Debra Humphris said: “We are delighted that Annabel and George have been selected as two of the four Paxton Scholars for 2019 and I’m confident they will make the most of this exciting opportunity.

“This ongoing partnership with Paxton Access gives our students invaluable experience of the realities of the workplace combined with leading technologies.”

Adam Stroud, Paxton’s Chief Executive, said: “A huge congratulations to our 2019 scholars. I would like to thank the universities for their considerable ongoing support of this scheme, Paxton employees for doing such a great job of representing their company, and all students who took the time to come and visit our head office building in Brighton.”