Elise Davies, Digital Media BSc(Hons0

App to assist people living with dementia

Elise Davies, Digital Media BSc(Hons) tells us about her final year project (and her course).

“I chose Brighton because not many universities offered digital media and I liked the variety of the course. I was going to choose graphic design but I wanted the knowledge of coding which this course given me. The city of Brighton was also a big factor, there is always something going on and it’s a lovely city to live in.

I have enjoyed the variety of the modules, they all draw on different parts of digital media the assignments are all different. I have enjoyed learning new things and meeting new people. The range of software and the variety of things I have learnt is definitely something I would recommend.  The module choice is quite flexible, many of the people on my course are have taken the course in a different path to me and this can be seen in their final year projects.

My final year project is a smartphone application called A)(ON which is designed to assist the daily life of people living with dementia. It allows users to live independently in their home; this will reduce the amount of people entering care homes who have an early diagnosis of dementia.

A)(ON is designed for people living with dementia and their carers. The application will organise the patient’s day to increase their wellbeing. The patient can complete activities throughout the day to encourage independence. This would give peace of mind to their family members and reduce carer reliance.

I feel like I have gained skills in many different areas and this will hopefully make more employable and gives me more career options.”