Sam Buxton

Head in the cloud

Sam Buxton, Business Information Systems BA(Hons), talks about his work experience at RSM UK and migrating into the Microsoft Cloud.

I did my placement at RSM UK where I worked as an IT Trainee for 16 months. The role encompassed everything from IT Support tasks, all the way up to designing and deploying solutions to meet the business needs. I managed the third line support desk while simultaneously working on agile project tasks, such as the migration of employees into the Microsoft Cloud. I also had the opportunity to help colleagues fit out new offices with the base networking infrastructure.

I found the move into work the most challenging as the workload was more demanding with much shorter deadlines, and deadlines which would appear sometimes without foreknowledge. The most interesting part of the placement was the ability to get hands-on with datacentre operations and work on some of the most up to date server equipment currently in production.

My project was a business case about how an organisation could move some of their services into the cloud, and what kinds of benefits they could see. In particular it focused on Microsoft Azure and the increased flexibility the cloud could offer.

I enjoyed working towards my own timescales and seeing how my own idea developed into a finished product. It was really informative being able to manage a project and see how deadlines need to be adjusted as a result of problems during the project lifecycle.

I plan to use my knowledge gained from my time at University and placement to help me continually learn and develop new skills in the workplace.