Dream big and aim high

Umair Khalil, Third Year (BSc) Hons Computer Science gives us an insight into life as a computing student at Brighton.

The reason I chose to study at Brighton is because the curriculum reflects what is being used and practiced in industry. The city of Brighton was another big factor as the community here is diverse and brings together the many different cultures within a vibrant city.

The guest lectures have been crucial in understanding how content taught at the University can be instrumental to tasks undertaken by large sized companies. As an example, the Pension’s Regulator gave a lecture for one of my modules, showing how some of their technical and business processes consist of some of the material we learn here. This was a prime example in showing how the course is up-to-date and useful for students to see how the newest technologies can be used in almost any industry.

The course remains up-to-date with the current technologies and theoretical approaches. In the final year, there are a wide array of options to choose from. Some of the modules help to gain the required knowledge on a particular field you want to advance in. I also found the final year project a good resource in helping me to gather a thorough understanding on a topic that is not taught at the University.

The staff have been extremely supportive since the minute I arrived. They have all helped to push me out of my comfort zone. They have always provided me with the advice and the tools to stand out in a very demanding industry, and how I can maximise opportunities in and out of university.

Although I didn’t do a placement year, I did do a spring internship at IBM which taught me massively about the responsibility of client requirements and how the latest pieces of technology within the field of computer science can simplify many everyday tasks and aid businesses to achieve their long-term goals.

The knowledge I have gained from the course has been an invaluable resource in equipping me for life after I graduate. I feel as if the three years I have spent at here have really prepared me for any small or big task I encounter in my everyday life.
I would definitely recommend the course to those who have a technical background, not afraid of challenging themselves and have an aspiration to be involved within a hugely prosperous industry. As there are constant evolutions within Computer Science, there are endless possibilities about what might occur within the field. There are new topics and tools which would be of interest to people based on their skillset and curiosity.

What I would say to a lot of people is to dream big and aim high. By setting a high standard for yourself, you can achieve many great things and life is too short for not taking any ambitious risks. Try to get as much experience as you can by either undertaking some side projects and publishing this online or getting some work experience. A lot of small and large firms hold internships so be sure to apply as this would put you in a great position when applying for jobs. As we’re living in a digital age, maximise your online profile by utilising websites such as GitHub and LinkedIn, since a lot of recruiters in the field of computer science tend to examine students on these profiles. Lastly, don’t be intimated by the job market when it comes to graduating, employers tend to recruit hard working students who are not afraid to have a bit of fun and there’s no better place to learn about the two other than the University of Brighton.