Steven steps up to success!

Steven Salama, who graduates this month with a BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, has won the National Student Employee Step Up to Leadership Award 2016.

Steven, who balances his studies with work for Brighton-based software company RDF Group, saw off stiff competition at university, regional and national levels.

Steven Salama

Steven Salama

Commenting on his achievement, Steven said: “I am very proud of this award because it came after a lot of determination and hard work. Working and studying in parallel is a challenge. But being able to balance both has taught me a lot of skills which are useful in everyday life. It is a privilege to be the first University of Brighton student to win the national Step Up to Leadership award and be named student employee of the year. I would like to thank my tutors at the University, RDF Group and especially my family for all of their support.”

Sam Rhodes, Head of the University of Brighton Careers Service, said: “Juggling a degree with part-time work, when managed well, provides financial and developmental rewards, bringing credit to the university, to the students’ employers, but most of all to the students themselves. We are very proud that Steven went on to win not just the Regional but also the National award. This is a fantastic achievement and a credit to his hard work.”

Nadia Rowlinson, from RDF Group said: “Throughout his employment with RDF, Steven has shown an over-riding sense of duty and commitment. His proactive acquisition of work and willingness to take on sole responsibility for complex projects has made a significant impact on delivery and served to maintain high levels of client satisfaction. Steven has been as asset to the team and the company. I would like to convey my personal congratulations to Steven on his award and wish him well in all of his future endeavours.”

The National Student Employee Awards are organised by the National Association of Student Employment Services. The awards recognise and promote the outstanding contributions and achievements of students who effectively combine part-time work with their study commitments and the employers that support them.