Language Ideologies

1. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/04/17/emojis-ruining-english-language-young-people-rely-communicate/
  2. Nick Dixon
    There was a similar uproar when texting patois took over mobile communications , mostly by the young but as they grew up and communicated with human beings they learned to up their game because they had to . Nothing to see here. 
    Brian Basford
    @Nick Dixon
    There is the more serious problem of most young people’s total addiction to mobile phones. They will use them to comminicate when they are sat next to each other, every day I see dozens of them walking along glued to their phones. It has become a way of life for them. In a cafe the other day I witness a young family of 4 sat there and they were all using them at the same time

PATHETIC

Comment:

I personally think that the use of emojis in this modern society could and should be used as an advantage. Funnily enough, some things are easier to be said through the use of an emoji rather than through words. For example, if you see something funny and send to your friend and they reply with ‘that’s so funny’ it could come across through the text as a sarcastic comment or the person replying may not feel as if their reply does justice, simply adding the ‘crying with laughter’ emoji is a way to quickly let your feelings known to your friend without having to write too much. However, I also think that sometimes emojis could be seen as a ‘barrier’ with language. For example I know that my mother doesn’t understand that the ‘crying with laughter’ emoji means that and thinks it’s simply crying, therefore making her very worried if I text it! Another quite common emoji between a younger generation would be the fruit peach to be referenced to a plump backside, however that’s not necessarily understandably from a universal audience.