Encouraging aspiration for the chemistry courses. Working with local schools and colleges to unlock the potential of their students and ease the transition to university study.
The Chemistry team are organising activities to enhance 16-18 education in the local area by giving a taste of what it is like to study at university. Working closely with their teachers we offer those within the scheme who have the potential to succeed preferential admissions criteria.
If you are in Brighton & Hove, East Sussex or West Sussex and are interested in the scheme please contact Dr Alison Willows, course leader for the chemistry courses at the University of Brighton.
Activities for the 2018/19 academic year
- School visits – Dr Willows and Dr Ian Gass (academic admissions tutor) are currently visiting schools and colleges to introduce the scheme.
- Lab experience and conference day – 3rd April 2019 – Hands on experience of some of the large instrument techniques at the university, including HPLC, gas chromatography and atomic spectroscopy. Students will be finding out the cause of the strange tasting wine from the (unfortunately fictitious) Huxley vineyard.
- Study Skills – 3rd April 2019 – An introduction to university study and how to make the most of the learning opportunities.
- UCAS application advice clinic – ongoing -talk to course leader and admissions tutor about your application, special session on applying to university on the 3rd April.
- Taster Lectures – a chance to experience university study with relevant topics in select foundation level lectures.
- Work Experience – 1-5 July 2019 – a chance for a selection of students to spend a week in the university laboratories working with the chemistry technical team.