Fabrica Student Volunteer Placement – Audience Development – Apply By 12pm on Wednesday 6 February 2019
Fabrica Student Volunteer Placement – Audience Development
12-month placement, March 2019 – February 2020: starting week commencing 4 March 2019. One day per week.
Fabrica, Brighton’s Centre for Contemporary Art, is delighted offer specialist placements to motivated and proactive students interested in working at a vibrant contemporary art gallery in the heart of Brighton.
The Audience Development Placement is for students who are interested in arts engagement and who are looking to develop their own professional skills. During this placement you will gain front-of-house and behind-the-scenes knowledge and experience in: administration, recruitment, volunteer management, events organisation, education, participation, fundraising, data collation, audience development and marketing.
The successful candidate will spend 3 months with the Office Manager to gain an overall understanding of the organisation and develop their own admin skills, followed by 9 months with the Audience Development Manager to develop our programme of events and projects to attract new audiences.
During your placement you’ll understand Fabrica’s mission as an organisation and gain in-depth experience in Audience Development.
“Being an Audience Development placement has provided a extra layer of learning that has enriched and supported my MA at the University of Brighton.
“I felt like the placement is really structured around my learning and development – every day has been different and thrown up new and exciting opportunities for me which have developed into projects beyond the student placement.” – Student Placement 2017
This is a 12-month, unpaid placement, where you will be committed to Fabrica one day per week, negotiated around your schedule and Fabrica programme. Outside these hours and where possible, you will be able to engage with Fabrica’s volunteer and public programmes, which will help you to get the most out of your placement.
Our experienced staff provide a supportive and friendly environment to learn the professional skills necessary to work successfully in the arts.
A passion for visual arts is essential as well as good customer care skills, excellent time management, a pro-active attitude, willingness to learn and the desire to engage with all aspects of Fabrica. Working independently and alongside the Office Manager and Audience Development Manager in a busy and dynamic office, you will gain essential skills vital in developing a career in the arts.
Working with the Office Manager
- Welcome visitors and deal with enquiries in person, by phone and email.
- Help with general administration in the office such as research, archiving, data collation and updating information on database.
- Lead and take staff meeting minutes.
Working with the Audience Development Manager
- Develop databases and relationships with schools and community groups as well as other arts organisations and arts professionals.
- Assist on Fabrica projects working with specific groups as appropriate and dependent on your interest.
- Help bridge the gap between Fabrica and people in the city who might not usually engage with contemporary art, including younger and older people and people with disabilities.
- Develop and maintain marketing streams to reach new and specific audiences including the use of social media.
- Work with artists, staff and freelancers on our events programme. Assist on specific, audience-focussed events with the potential of running an event during the placement.
- Develop our resources to make Fabrica as welcoming and accessible as possible.
- Experience of volunteering in the arts.
- Passion for the arts and working with the wider communities.
- Proactive attitude, eager to learn and develop transferable skills.
- Happy to work in a team as well as on your own.
- Good written and verbal communication skills along with good time management.
- Good IT skills.
Your line manager will meet with you regularly to check your placement progression and learning outcomes.
How to make an application
To apply, you will need to submit a completed application form, CV and Monitoring Form by the application deadline. Please contact the university’s volunteering service, Active Student, to express an interest in the role/register/get the application pack:
Tel: 01273 644145
Visit: Your nearest Student Centre
Deadline to apply to Fabrica is 12pm on Wednesday 6 February 2019, so please contact Active Student a few days before this date to allow yourself time to write and submit an application.
Interviews will take place during the week commencing 18 February 2019