Historical Research Volunteer – a not to be missed opportunity with Brighton Dome (deadline 18 July)
Historical Research Volunteer – Brighton Dome and Festival
We are looking for volunteers to help us uncover some of the hidden histories of these iconic buildings through an in-depth research project. Your research will directly contribute to material that appears in the newly re-opened Corn Exchange and Studio theatre and in future exhibitions.
Research Volunteers will be looking at a number of stories around the architecture of Brighton Dome and Corn Exchange, from the ancient history of the land and its use as a Quaker burial ground to the individual stories of the grooms, stable-hands and servants of the Prince’s Royal Stables, to the Regency era’s fascination with the ‘East’ and ‘Orientalism’.
Historical Research activities may include:
• Looking through existing Brighton Dome and Festival research including notes, documents and images, and pull together this material in one place
• Carrying out independent research:
o at libraries
o using books
o using documents and images from the Royal Pavilion and Museums, and Brighton Dome and Festival
• Work with specialist staff at Brighton Dome and Festival and at the Royal Pavilion and Museums and provide updates on their work
• The role could include future visits to The Keep at Falmer, and the Royal Pavilion and Brighton Museum to look through their resources
• Present your work to the public at our Heritage Open Day and Remembrance Day Events.
Person requirements and time commitment
Applicants for this role should have the following skills, experience and attributes:
• An Interest in Brighton, Brighton Dome, The Royal Pavilion Estate and/or Regency History
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to use a PC and basic computer programmes including Word and Excel
• Experience in basic research skills (desirable)
• Reliable and trustworthy
• Aged over 18 (for insurance purposes).
Location, availability and commitment:
• Volunteer from home and/or in the Brighton Dome and Festival Administration Offices: 12a, Pavilion Buildings, Castle Square, Brighton, BN1 1EE (dependent upon nature of research activity)
• Occasionally volunteers may visit Brighton Jubilee Library, The Royal Pavilion and Museums and The Keep at Falmer. (Travel expenses will be reimbursed for trips outside the city centre up to £5 in agreement with the Volunteer Coordination Manager)
• This opportunity is available immediately and has the potential to be ongoing
• Suggested commitment: 3-6 hours per week in August and September (hours can be flexible as agreed with v. August 2014
the Volunteer Coordination Manager)
• Heritage Open Day 15th September (Optional)
• Remembrance Day 11th November (Optional)
• Please also refer to the ‘How to apply and key recruitment dates’ section below.
Applicants must be able to attend an induction 9th August to include H&S, Customer Care, Diversity and Equality in relation to relevant activities.
Discussion of purpose and activities of role ongoing as research project develops.
About the organisation
Brighton Dome and Festival is the premiere multi-arts venue on the south coast. We also produce Englands leading and most progressive mixed arts celebration – Brighton Festival, each May.
Brighton Dome has received funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to renovate the Corn Exchange and Studio Theatre and reunite the Royal Pavilion Estate. The Grade I listed Brighton Dome has had many guises over its 200-year history. Built by Prince Regent as a stable block, our venue has transformed from a Victorian skating rink, to a WW1 military hospital, and is now a leading performing arts venue.
How to apply and key recruitment dates
• Deadline for applications is Wednesday 18th July so please contact the Active Student Volunteering Service at least a day before to allow time enough to apply – 01273 644145 / firstname.lastname@example.org
• An informal interview will take place at the Dome on Monday 23rd July
• Volunteers induction Thursday 9th August.
Find out more about your University of Brighton volunteering service, Active Student, on our website here: www.brighton.ac.uk/careers/volunteering