Volunteer Archivist Wanted!
RSPCA education & advice
Archival activities in the Society’s archive store which holds minutes, publications and artefacts dating back to the foundation of the charity in 1824. Approximately 80% of the holding is catalogued so a priority is to establish what remains to be identified and recorded. Agree and establish a procedure for future bequests and donations.
The archive is not a closed collection and is added to on a regular basis by our 165 branches, animal centres and regional offices as well as the general public.
Required tasks will include:
- Recording items donated to the archive and identifying the 20% that requires cataloguing
- Preservation of records as required
- Accessing the records database, retrieving files and returning them to storage
- Responding to enquiries from staff and external researchers – arranging visits where appropriate.
- Strong history, archival or family history interest and skills.
- Conscientious and methodical.
- A good systems and processes person.
- Particularly strong attention to detail.
Is training provided? Yes it is! A half-day induction before starting and support with RSPCA databases and procedures.
Time Commitment? Ideally one year – but would consider a shorter commitment depending on the skill-set of the candidate. Preferably, a couple of half days per week – more time if possible during holidays.
How to apply – Please contact the university’s Volunteering Service, Active Student: https://about.brighton.ac.uk/careers/volunteer/contact-active-student/