Jamie Mcluskey

This much I know…

Jamie McCluskey, Biomedical Science BSc(Hons) graduate, now studying Medicine at BSMS, shares his thoughts about his time here with us.

Choosing to study at Brighton was easy. For me the most important thing when choosing a university was whether I’d actually enjoy living in the city where the university was based, Brighton is easily one of the most fun and vibrant places in the country! That combined with the fact that Brighton offered a biomedical science course accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Scientists meant it was an obvious choice. 

The transition to university was not as hard as it was from school to college.  I actually had a slightly hard time with A-Levels and coming to university was the opportunity for a fresh start. I definitely found the independent approach to studying really refreshing, while the content does get harder in later years of your degree, I feel more supported and perform better academically at university and would definitely say the jump from GCSEs to A-Levels is harder. 

There are lots of different ways to learn. The option modules like forensics have been really fun, giving us the opportunity to examine famous criminal cases from a scientific perspective has been really interesting. 

For my third-year project I had the opportunity to work with Dr Fergus Guppy, investigating the effects of New Zealand Blackcurrant on exercise performance, it was really interesting, and it showed me that research science isn’t all about growing cells in a lab. 

It’s a supportive place to learn. I’ve always felt supported in my studies, we often have well-being and stress-buster events in the run up to exams and we can contact the student support and guidance counsellors if we’re struggling. I feel quite lucky in that Brighton is one of those universities that recognises that mental health can be an issue among students and is taking measures to combat it.  

There is a focus on preparing you for work. Our course is accredited so automatically makes it slightly easier to build a biomedical science portfolio compared to other non-accredited courses. We’re offered the opportunity to do a sandwich year working as a biomedical scientist with various companies. And we also got involved with events like tours of local pathology labs and hospital departments to meet people employed in the field and ask them about their daily life.  

A lot of my fellow students are pursuing masters or PhDs. I’m now studying medicine at Brighton and Sussex Medical school.