Making the Most of Clearing Open Day

After initially planning on a gap year, I made a last-minute decision to go to university a week before results day. I got my results online, and found universities and courses I was interested in. After getting my results, Brighton was the first university that I phoned, and they were so friendly and helpful in answering all the questions I had. After some deliberating with another university, I decided that Brighton was the right place for me, and confirmed my offer to study Biomedical Science 🧬.

A couple of days later, Brighton held a clearing information day for applicants that had accepted offers. I grew up close to Brighton, so went with my mum and sister to visit the campus and meet some lecturers – it was such an informative day and everyone I met was so friendly! Looking back on my experience, here are some of my tips to making the most of Clearing Open Day:

• Talk to other people on your course. You’ll probably be grouped into courses during your campus tour, so make some friends in advance!
  • Introduce yourself and talk to your future lecturers! It’ll help you feel at ease when you start uni in September 😊
  • Find out about transport around the city 🚌
  • Ask about accommodation options (if there’s a talk about accommodation, go to it!) 🏠
  • Talk to student ambassadors about their experience and advice
  • Take note of how far it is from home. It’ll affect how often you go back, whether it’s every weekend or a few times per year.
  • Look around the city if you have time! There is so much to do in Brighton, and wherever you choose to go, you’ll be there for a few years, so have a snoop around 🛍
  • Go with your gut. If you feel like it’s the right place for you, go for it and you won’t regret it!

Since coming to the University of Brighton, I haven’t looked back and I’m so glad I took the jump to apply through clearing. Results day is stressful for everyone, but thanks to the people who helped me during the clearing process, it turned into a really positive experience. I’m the happiest I’ve ever been at university, so I can vouch for the fact that it all works out in the end! 🎉