BMC ecology image competition winner

We are really proud of student William Mills, Ecology and Conservation MSci, who has been announced as one of the winners in the BMC Ecology Image Competition.

His photograph entitled ‘Meadow Brown and solitary bee’ was the winner in the Community, Population and Macroecology category in the global competition judged by Professor Zhigang Jiang from the Institute of Zoology of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

William talked about his image to the BMC and said:

“Wildflower grassland habitat has greatly reduced in the UK over the last 80 years. However, due to its ability to support a wealth of flora and fauna, and particularly invertebrates, many local and district councils have been working hard to create and expand habitats within local and national nature reserves. One such reserve is the Bedelands Farm Local Nature Reserve in Burgess Hill, East Sussex. It was while I was volunteering on this reserve, working with the chairman Dominic Moore, that I stopped to take this photo of the male meadow brown (Maniola jurtina) feeding on a common knapweed (Centaurea nigra) flower. However, it wasn’t until I got home that I spotted the small solitary bee. The reserve has become one of my favourite places to visit with my camera.” [full article https://bmcecol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12898-019-0226-z]