Biological Sciences at Brighton

Third year Biological Sciences BSc(Hons) student, Steven Purnell, tells us more about studying here

Biological Sciences is a diverse topic, ranging from biomedical modules to ecology and optional geology/ geography modules. Most of your module choices will be optional, meaning you can pick and choose the topics you are most interested in.

The Brighton teaching staff are excellent; well-informed and enthusiastic lecturers. The support staff are always helpful, particularly in the labs where the technicians are always willing to point you in the right direction.

My final year project (studying the antibiotic resistance of biofilm-forming Escherichia coli) helped me learn skills such as designing an experiment, conduct literature reviews of previous publications and gave me a great deal of good laboratory practise.

I did an internal placement year at the university, assisting a lecturer in his research on pathongenic E.coli inSteven-Purnell the microbiology research laboratory, which expanded my experience. Puttingtheory into practice really helped me to understand the practical side of what we had learned.

I am currently applying to PhD places in various microbiology topics, in particular work with pathogenic E.coli as it is a topic I have become increasingly interested in from my placement year and final year project experiences.

I would describe my course as fascinating, enjoyable and enthralling. If you want a biology course encompassing both biomedical and ecology topics, this is definitely the one you should pick.