On 18 January, Susan Trapp from Insight Software, shared her extensive experiences of successful project management with students.
Susan left students with four top tips on project management:
- to start with the why
- plan out the work using a Work Breakdown Structure
- create a RACI structure
- and to use a Gantt chart to manage the work.
1. Start with the Why
- Objective: Why are we doing this?
- Stakeholders: Who is paying for the project?
- Scope: What is included and what isn’t
2. Learn how to create a Work Breakdown Structure
3. Then from your work breakdown structure create a RACI table
- Responsible: The Doer
- Accountable: The buck stops here
- Consulted: In the Loop
- Informed: Kept in the picture
4. And finally use a Gantt chart to keep to a timeplan.