Seeking Support

There may be times when life as a new student can feel overwhelming or you may be experiencing a problem which is affecting your ability to cope or to study.  There are lots of sources of help and support at the university.  It is a good idea to get familiar with what’s available at the university in case you do ever need to seek support or even if you don’t use the services personally, you might be able to point a friend in the right direction.

Find out who your Student Support and Guidance Tutor is. They can help you with homesickness / loneliness, problems with accommodation, problems with adapting to study – particularly for mature students, difficulties with your course / wanting to intermit or change course, stress-related issues, and mitigating circumstances. They can also direct you to specialist services across the university.

For academic concerns don’t be afraid to ask questions to academic staff, your lecturer, a tutor or course leader, or to ask for clarification if there is something you don’t understand.  If you find yourself struggling with your academic work, ask a member of staff for help as soon as possible rather than leaving it to the last minute.

If you need more general information about your course or timetable, your School Administrator is a good contact and will usually be able to point you in the right direction.

One of the best sources of support for your studies is other students.  Talk to them as they may be experiencing similar concerns and you may be able to share information and study tips.  You may even want to set up your own study group to talk through the work, gain better understanding and confidence and support each other.

If you have a disability, mental health problem or long term illness or health condition which is impacting on your ability to study you can contact the Disability and Dyslexia team to see if they can provide support.  You may also wish to let a member of academic staff know that you are experiencing difficulties. If you are finding it difficult to cope with any aspect of your life, including student life, or are experiencing personal problems, you may wish to talk your concerns through with a professional counsellor at the university – contact Counselling for more details and for self-help resources.

For independent advice and representation for academic appeals, mitigating circumstances and university regulations, contact Student Union Advice and Representation.

Counselling services

What is a Student Support and Guidance Tutor?