Filming

As it is my first time filming anything I was apprehensive if it would be something I could do well. I like capturing journeys through photography and I enjoy promotional films for brands that often have deeper meaning to them as I think it’s beneficial for the brands and the consumers. I used a DSLR camera and I took as much footage as I could to show the process of this item being made. I was unsure whether to use a camera or my phone as i was using a tripod which was for both. Being able to zoom and capture smaller details in higher quality made me decide to use the DSLR.The lighting worked out a lot better than I had originally thought it would , it is quite dark in my living room and the space is very small so there were obstacles to get around but these shots became more about the materials and fabrics which I enjoyed picking up on the details of this.I also wanted to show personality and happiness in the footage as I want this to be an uplifting film.Through my research I have learnt that marketing on this side of covid is more about focusing on new ways of representing brands and designers through going back to the roots and finding out a way of showcasing what is important, as this mindset has changed for a lot of people. One particular mindset is how important mental health is and I am interested in exploring the taboo in a creative way.

After filming I wanted to practice piecing together the footage and creating a journey through with an inspiring and uplifting feel to it. The first challenge for me was filtering through all the footage and choosing what shots worked best alongside one another, I am using Imovie which is surprisingly easier than I thought it would be but got much easier once I had practised and learnt the basics. I think this took away from being able to reflect on the details and mood of the process as I was learning a lot but next time I hope I can be more particular about things as I will understand more from the start.

Alana is a young black female designer who deserves the platform to be creative and explore her passion for design, I chose a song which lyrically represented and visually reflected the emotion and tone of the music at each stage. This was something I found interesting as the footage changed a lot the more I worked on the timing of the sound which I will take through to next part of this project with the conversation. The next step will be to film a conversation which I want to be about who the designer is but also the journey of mental health she’s been on as this brand was born in the pandemic I think we can discuss how this helped her.Whilst watching the footage with the song layered over, I knew I wanted the the film to be about a positive journey which allowed me to ask questions in the interview and piece together what I thought would give the best message.