Week 1 – Final Year

I have started to think about how i want to approach my project and explore visual promotion. When i was in the pandemic me and my friends spoke about mental health a lot and what we were doing to help ourselves. A friend and i were both using upcycling as a way to pass the time. I redesigned a top out of old t shirts and my friend started to make bags. She was also using old materials she found in her house so she could be creative whilst staying in doors. I think it’s interesting what can be produced and marketed when everything is stripped back. She started selling a few but as lock down eased she was ordering material to create the designs she wanted. However, i had been thinking a lot about how this pause had drastically improved the environment and how quickly this will return to normal. My initial idea is to push her brand and make it known as a sustainable brand and highlighting how it began. I think i will explore branding and campaigns. Something i have been thinking a lot about it is the economy due to covid and how hard its been for my friends who are graduates to get jobs, there is a part of me that wants to keep my work as commercialised as possible to create a portfolio which will be beneficial to employers but i find it more inspiring to work with a deeper meaning of my work. In our tutorial this week we got to look at a lot of previous students work which helped me see what was expected of us. It is hard to not focus on our FMP but as i unsure what direction i want to go in so i am going to use the time for experimenting around this topic and hopefully move in the right direction.